Tuesday, 29 November 2016
Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht
Turf Cutting Compensation Scheme
417. To ask the Minister for Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht the status of an application for funding by a person (details supplied) under the turf cutting compensation scheme; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [36908/16]
An application for compensation under the cessation of turf cutting compensation scheme has been received by my Department from the individual referred to in the Deputy’s Question. The qualifying criteria for the scheme are that:
- The claimant must have a legal interest in one of the 53 raised bog special areas of conservation - ownership or turbary right;
- The claimant must have been the owner or entitled to exercise turbary rights on the land in question on 25 May 2010;
- The turbary on the site must not be exhausted;
- The claimant must have been cutting turf on the land in question during the relevant five year period; and
- No turf cutting or associated activity is ongoing on the property.
My Department is examining the application in view of the qualifying criteria for the scheme. I am advised that officials from my Department have been in contact with the solicitors acting for the applicant and have requested that they provide further evidence to support the application. I am also advised that an inspection of the bog plot in question is to be undertaken.
Once the relevant information is supplied and the inspection complete, my Department will be in a position to process the application further.