Thursday, 6 July 2006
- Prelude (0 speeches)
Chuaigh an Cathaoirleach i gceannas ar 10.30 a.m.
- Death of Former Member: Expressions of Sympathy. (16 speeches)
Today we pay tribute to a former Member of this House, the late Luke Belton. He served in the Seanad for a short period in 1982 and from 1983 to 1987, both times on the administrative panel. He...
- Business of Seanad. (32 speeches)
As this is the last day of our term before the summer recess I wish all Members a happy and enjoyable summer holiday, if they are taking one. I thank the Leader and her assistant, Mr. Eamonn...
- Order of Business. (19 speeches)
The Order of Business is Nos. 1 to 7, inclusive. No. 1 is a motion to bring forward some new e-democracy initiatives to strengthen the position of the Oireachtas at the centre of the political...
- Visit of French Delegation. (1 speech)
Before calling the next speaker I would like to take this opportunity to welcome to the Distinguished Visitors Gallery a group of parliamentarians who are visiting this country from France. I...
- Order of Business (Resumed). (127 speeches)
I cannot let the opportunity pass to wish the French the best of luck in the World Cup final.
- Business of Seanad. (6 speeches)
On a point of order, there are only 15 minutes remaining to deal with the Institutes of Technology Bill through no fault of any of the Members who intend to speak on it. This is the position...
- Irish Nationality and Citizenship (Amendment) (Garda Síochána) Bill 2006: First Stage. (7 speeches)
I move: That leave be granted to introduce a Bill entitled an Act to amend the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 1956 and to provide for automatic citizenship of members of An Garda Síochána.
- Joint Committee on Communications, Marine and Natural Resources: Motion. (1 speech)
I move: That it be an instruction to the Joint Committee on Communications, Marine and Natural Resources regarding proposals for legislation in relation to broadcasting that may be submitted to...
- Joint Committee on Child Protection: Motion. (11 speeches)
I move: (1) That a select committee consisting of four Members of Seanad Éireann be joined with a select committee to be appointed by Dáil Éireann to form the Joint Committee on Child...
- Institutes of Technology Bill 2006: Committee Stage. (23 speeches)
- Eighth Report of Committee of Selection: Motion. (1 speech)
The Committee of Selection reports that it has nominated the following Members to serve on the Joint Committee on Child Protection: Senators Geraldine Feeney, Derek McDowell, Sheila Terry and Jim...
- Institutes of Technology Bill 2006: Committee Stage (Resumed) and Report Stage. (13 speeches)
Sections 23 to 25, inclusive, agreed to.
- Business of Seanad. (2 speeches)
I wish to amend the Order of Business by proposing that Committee Stage of the Hepatitis C Compensation Tribunal (Amendment) Bill 2006 be taken at 1 p.m.
- Institutes of Technology Bill 2006: Fifth Stage. (4 speeches)
Question proposed: "That the Bill do now pass."
- Hepatitis C Compensation Tribunal (Amendment) Bill 2006: Committee and Remaining Stages. (63 speeches)
- Planning and Development (Strategic Infrastructure) Bill 2006 [Seanad Bill amended by the Dáil]: Report and Final Stages. (56 speeches)
This is a Seanad Bill which has been amended by the Dáil. In accordance with Standing Order 103, it is deemed to have passed its First, Second and Third Stages in the Seanad and has been placed...
- Road Traffic Bill 2006 [Seanad Bill amended by the Dáil]: Report and Final Stages. (24 speeches)
I welcome the Minister of State to the House. This is a Seanad Bill which has been amended by the Dáil. In accordance with Standing Order 103, it is deemed to have passed its First, Second and...
- Building Societies (Amendment) Bill 2006: Second Stage. (22 speeches)
Question proposed: "That the Bill be now read a Second Time."
- Building Societies (Amendment) Bill 2006: Committee and Remaining Stages. (18 speeches)
Sections 1 to 20, inclusive, agreed to.
- Adjournment Matters. (0 speeches)
- Hospital Services. (6 speeches)
I am raising the issue of the run-down of the capital investment and the Government's commitment to the Adelaide and Meath Hospital in Tallaght. Concerns have been expressed by the hospital as...
- Communications Masts. (6 speeches)
I welcome the Minister of State, Deputy Noel Ahern. I urge him to give consideration to amending the appropriate Planning and Development Act to ensure that we would have in place clear and...
- Pension Provisions. (5 speeches)
I wish to raise the issue of pensions or, at least, enhanced gratuity payments for retired members of local authorities. I think the Minister of State may have been a member of a local authority....