Written answers

Thursday, 9 March 2023

Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth

International Protection

Photo of Eoin Ó BroinEoin Ó Broin (Dublin Mid West, Sinn Fein)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

295. To ask the Minister for Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth if the White Paper to end direct provision and establish a new International Protection Support Service has explored the extension of the HAP to the sponsor prior to the arrival of family in cases of family reunification; if so, if this change is likely to be adopted; and if not, if it is something his Department will give consideration to. [12133/23]

Photo of Roderic O'GormanRoderic O'Gorman (Dublin West, Green Party)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

International Protection applicants who have been granted an international protection status (refugee status or subsidiary protection status) or a permission to remain have the same access to housing supports and services as Irish and EEA nationals. There are a number of supports available to persons with status to assist in accessing housing in the community when leaving accommodation centres. This Department has a specific team in the International Protection Accommodation Service (IPAS) who work in collaboration with DePaul Ireland, the Peter McVerry Trust, officials in the Department of Housing, Local Government and Heritage and the County and City Management Association to collectively support residents with status, or a permission to remain, to access housing options.

In relation to HAP – the tools of Homeless HAP are available to those with status in IPAS accommodation once a Local Authority has assessed them as eligible for such. The tools of Homeless HAP include:


Increased HAP limits

Rent in advance

The provision of HAP is made by the Local Authority based on the assessment for Social Housing supports. Anyperson not currently residing in the country cannot be assessed for housing supports or included on someone’s housing application.

All policy matters relating to family reunification are the remit of the Department of Justice and all policy matters relating to HAP are the remit of Department of Housing Local Government and Heritage.


No comments

Log in or join to post a public comment.