Written answers

Wednesday, 25 January 2023

Department of Public Expenditure and Reform

Civil Service

Photo of Marian HarkinMarian Harkin (Sligo-Leitrim, Independent)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

85. To ask the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform if a prison officer can apply for a transfer to another Department within the civil service; and if so, the mechanisms that are in place to facilitate such transfers. [3623/23]

Photo of Paschal DonohoePaschal Donohoe (Dublin Central, Fine Gael)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

You will be aware that my department currently governs the Civil Service Mobility scheme which offers an opportunity for general service staff members to apply for Mobility (i.e. transfer) through an open and transparent system. This is the only scheme that offers permanent moves across the Civil Service. The Mobility system is administered through the HR Shared Services, National Shared Service Office.

While Prison Officers are designated as Civil Servants, they are not currently transferrable to general service roles under the Civil Service Mobility scheme. The Prison Officer positions are operational grades and the Irish Prison Service maintain an internal transfer list for these grades to other prisons located around the country.

A Prison Officer may apply for generalist civil service positions through an open recruitment competition (generally administered by the Public Appointments Service).

For further information on the Mobility scheme please visit the Mobility website at:



No comments

Log in or join to post a public comment.