Thursday, 19 January 2023
Department of Defence
244. To ask the Taoiseach and Minister for Defence if he will provide an update on the future use of the Curragh Camp, Newbridge; and his plans to utilise the approximately 800 bed spaces at the camp. [2480/23]
The Curragh Camp is the main training centre for all Defence Force training, education and logistics units. I can confirm that there are no plans to change the status of this military installation. To this end, the Deputy may wish to note that the future development of the Defence Forces Training Centre is prioritised in the Infrastructure Plan and in recent years, we have seen the completion of:
- A new high security ammunition Depot;
- Modernised accommodation in Pearse and Plunkett Barracks (providing over 100 standard beds for DF personnel);
- A recently completed new Electronic Target Range; and
- A new Barrack Services Engineering Store.
These improvements in the Training Centre were all completed at a combined cost of over €18 million. In addition, the following significant projects in the Curragh Camp will be at various developmental stages during 2023:
- A new Cadet school - works are well advanced and due for completion in the coming months;
- A new purpose built CIS facility- a Design Team is appointed and are currently examining the scope of works;
- Provision of a new ARW Headquarters; a design is appointed and are currently examining the scope of works.
The above projects represent an investment of over €20m in the Curragh Camp alone for this year. In addition, work in 2023 will also focus on developing proposals in respect of:
- A new Military College Auditorium;
- An upgrade of the new Medical School;
- New Garaging Facilities, and
- New Engineering Logistics Offices.
Single Living in accommodation in the camp is provided for long term and transient use. As such, military personnel can use accommodation for overnight stays during training and courses. The occupancy of SLI accommodation therefore can fluctuate on a daily basis, depending on the number of courses being held in a location and the duration of the course.