Written answers

Thursday, 17 November 2022

Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport

Company Registration

Photo of Seán SherlockSeán Sherlock (Cork East, Labour)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

141. To ask the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport if he will examine a matter for a retailer (details supplied). [57114/22]

Photo of Hildegarde NaughtonHildegarde Naughton (Galway West, Fine Gael)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

The policy adopted by my Department around the issuance of motor dealer identity numbers has not changed. The Department through the National Vehicle and Driver File (NVDF) maintains a record of the ‘registered owners’ of motor vehicles. The Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) (Amendment) Regulations 1992 (SI No. 385 of 1992) and amendments made thereon set out the procedures regarding notification and recording of changes of vehicle ownership. Central to this is notifications of vehicle ownership changes from motor dealers.

In the administration of this system, motor dealers who are issued an identity number from the Department, are, in effect, given special 'dispensation' as they are not required to pay motor tax, or complete a non-use declaration, while the vehicle is in their ownership but not on a public road. Neither are they regarded as a registered owner of the vehicle when it is subsequently sold. The presumption is that vehicles in the ownership of motor dealers are not used in a public place and if they are, it is under the cover of a Trade Plate, or have been taxed and used for private purposes.

In this regard, the Department have strict requirements in issuing identity numbers, and must be satisfied as to the authenticity of the applicant. Identity codes are only issued to a registered company or a sole trader on completion of a standard application form.

The application must include:

- copy of a premises rateable valuation receipt, or planning permission for such premises granted under the Local Government (Planning and Development) Act 1963, the same as an application for a Trade Licence. If leasing a premises, rates must be paid on the leased premises.

- copy of current motor trade insurance policy

- VAT number or PPSN number (whichever applicable)

- If the application is in the name of a registered company (registered with the CRO) a registration number is required

It is important to note that the requirement for a suitable business premises is similar to what is required where a motor dealer requires a trade plate, or to be an authorised motor trader with the Revenue Commissioners.

My officials in the Driver Vehicle and Computer Services Division, who administer the issuance of identity codes, are happy to discuss the matter further with the individual concerned if he wishes to make contact with them.


No comments

Log in or join to post a public comment.