Tuesday, 14 December 2021
Department of Rural and Community Development
Community Development Projects
817. To ask the Minister for Rural and Community Development the budget allocation for the community enhancement programme for 2020 and 2021; and the budget allocation for same in 2022, in tabular form. [61278/21]
The Community Enhancement Programme (CEP)was first launched by my Department in 2018. It provides small grants to community organisations with a focus on those organisations in disadvantaged areas. The funding is provided to each Local Authority area and is distributed by the Local Community Development Committees (LCDC) in that area on the basis of local need. Since 2018 the CEP has funded in excess of 12,000 projects/organisations across the country.
As set out in the table below,
- In 2020 , the CEP received total funding of €7.2m, including €5m received as part of the Government's July stimulus package for repairs or upgrades to community centres and community facilities.
- I launched the 2021CEP on the 10th May with an allocation of €4.5m. The key theme of this year’s programme is supporting groups as they re-open facilities which were closed due to COVID-19.
- In November I launched the Community Activities Fund (CA-Fund) administered under the Community Enhancement Programme with funding of €9m.This fund will support groups, particularly in disadvantaged areas, with operating costs such as utility and insurance bills, as well as funding to carry out necessary repairs and improvements to their facilities. It will also provide small grants for capital projects or equipment.
- It is planned to run the CEP again in 2022 with an allocation of €4.5m.