Written answers

Wednesday, 1 December 2021

Department of Housing, Planning, and Local Government

Local Authorities

Photo of Emer HigginsEmer Higgins (Dublin Mid West, Fine Gael)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

98. To ask the Minister for Housing, Planning, and Local Government the system for reimbursement of public representation allowances and expenses for councillors; if it is to be paid and claimed in the same way as the parliamentary standard allowance for members of the Houses of the Oireachtas; and if not, if it is to be made available by local authorities to be drawn down on an annual, monthly or quarterly basis. [59393/21]

Photo of Peter BurkePeter Burke (Longford-Westmeath, Fine Gael)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

Payments of expenses allowances to elected members of local authorities are made in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government (Expenses of Local Authority Members) Regulations 2021 (S.I. No. 313 of 2021) and directions issued thereunder.

Regulation 6(3) provides that each member who chooses to claim expenses shall provide written notification to his or her local authority of the monthly amount that he or she wants to receive in equal instalments during the year subject to the maximum annual amount not being exceeded.

Further details in relation to the arrangements for the payment of members' expenses are provided in directions issued under the 2021 Regulations. The most recent directions were issued to local authorities by my Department on 12 November 2021. I encourage all members who are claiming expenses to take the time to read the directions, which can be viewed at the link below -



No comments

Log in or join to post a public comment.