Written answers

Thursday, 18 November 2021

Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection

Civil Service

Photo of Mark WardMark Ward (Dublin Mid West, Sinn Fein)
Link to this: Individually | In context

265. To ask the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection the way in which the pension of a civil servant who has taken additional annual leave days more than their entitlement who has since retired is affected; the process and procedures in place to retrieve the overpayment; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [56682/21]

Photo of Heather HumphreysHeather Humphreys (Cavan-Monaghan, Fine Gael)
Link to this: Individually | In context

For retiring officers, upon receipt of a notice of retirement and the completed exit forms, the officers annual leave entitlement is calculated and verified with their line manager and the Department's HR Unit.

In cases where retired officers have taken leave in excess of their entitlement, in line with the Civil Service Annual Leave Circular 27/03 and the Overpayments Circular 07/18, the equivalent monetary amount is recouped from the individual.

In relation to cases who have already retired from service, the National Shared Services Office, the civil service office with responsibility for processing pay and pensions to civil servants, in accordance with the above circulars, will write to the individual to notify the amount of the overpayment and arrange for recoupment by direct payment or deduction from pension payments.

I trust this clarifies the matter for the Deputy.


No comments

Log in or join to post a public comment.