Tuesday, 12 October 2021
Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport
84. To ask the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport further to a question by this Deputy at the Oireachtas Select Committee on Transport and Communications of 29 September 2021 (details supplied), if he will ensure that the estimated capital cost of the preferred scheme of €16,592,240 is made available and that sanction is given without delay to expedite this project; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [49449/21]
The Deputy’s question relates to a flood relief proposal which is not within the remit of my Department. The report in question was conducted on foot of a request by the then Joint Oireachtas Committee for Rural and Community Development and prepared by consultants under the auspices of a multi-agency Steering Group comprised of Clare County Council, the Office of Public Works, Geological Survey of Ireland, the National Parks and Wildlife Service and Iarnród Éireann. A copy of the report was subsequently shared with numerous stakeholders, including my Department.
As the Deputy has previously noted the works proposed are not works related to the actual railway but instead involve the attenuation of some flows at Rosroe and Finn Loughs along with removal of the underground restriction between the swallow hole and spring and ancillary works.
Noting that Iarnród Éireann was represented on the Steering Group I have referred the Deputy’s question to the Company for a direct reply regarding any plans for the protection of the rail line and any update on the work of the multi-agency Steering Group.