Written answers

Tuesday, 15 June 2021

Photo of Michael CreedMichael Creed (Cork North West, Fine Gael)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

394. To ask the Minister for Finance the way in which non-compliant properties for property tax can become compliant; the financial penalties involved; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [32064/21]

Photo of Paschal DonohoePaschal Donohoe (Dublin Central, Fine Gael)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

Local Property Tax (LPT) is a self-assessed tax that requires property owners to meet their statutory obligations to file returns and pay the liabilities due on a timely basis. Revenue provides a wide range of payment options to help property owners meet these obligations, including debit/credit card payments, direct debit payments, annual debit authority payments, deduction at source from salary or certain social welfare payments, and through certain approved payment service providers.

Property owners who fail to comply with their LPT obligations may be subject to a range of collection and enforcement options. These include mandatory deduction from salary or pension, withholding of tax clearance certification, the application of surcharges on income tax, corporation tax and capital gains tax returns, offsetting of other tax refunds against LPT arrears, referral to a Sheriff or solicitor for collection, or the placing of a notice of attachment on his/her bank account. Late or non-payment of LPT also attracts an interest charge of 0.0219% per day (8% per annum). Any unpaid LPT, including interest, attaches as a charge on the property and must be paid before any sale or transfer of ownership can be completed.

Finally, Revenue has advised me that any property owner with LPT arrears that wishes to discuss the matter should contact the LPT Helpline at 01-7383626 between 9.30am and 1.30pm. Revenue has assured me that it will provide every assistance possible to the person/s to become LPT compliant.


No comments

Log in or join to post a public comment.