Thursday, 29 April 2021
Department of Health
104. To ask the Minister for Health his plans for the review and revision of Breastfeeding in a Healthy Ireland: the HSE Breastfeeding Action Plan 2016 – 2021; if a new plan will be developed for the period from 2011; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [22369/21]
Breastfeeding is a priority for Healthy Ireland in my Department and we work closely with the HSE National Breast Feeding Co-ordinator on the Breastfeeding in a Healthy Ireland Action Plan 2016-2021. This is the framework for progressing supports for breastfeeding in Ireland and the HSE has established the National Breastfeeding Implementation Group to progress a range of actions to:
- improve governance and health service structures,
- develop new breastfeeding training programmes,
- develop evidenced based policies and practices
- communicate the importance of breastfeeding through social marketing, support and advocacy and
- monitor and evaluate breastfeeding services.
The National Breastfeeding Implementation Group is partnering with key divisions to provide the supports that mothers require at all stages of the breastfeeding continuum.
Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on the delivery of some actions, the HSE will extend the implementation of the Breastfeeding Action Plan into 2022 and continue to work on priority outstanding actions.