Thursday, 17 December 2020
Department of Education and Skills
399. To ask the Minister for Education and Skills the number of students currently in sixth class in schools (details supplied); if there are sufficient numbers of places in secondary places in the schools; the area to accommodate them; if there is a shortfall; her plans to ensure their needs are met; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [44481/20]
Details of enrolments in primary and post primary schools for the academic year 2019/2020, which is the most recent available data, can be found on the Department's website at the link below;
Provisional data for the academic year 2020/2021 will be available in January 2021.
My Department is aware of increasing pressures and demand for additional post-primary school places in a number of school planning areas including the school planning area in which this school is located.
Where capacity issues arise, it may not be as a result of lack of accommodation but may be driven by the following factors:
- Duplication of applications – pupils have applied for a place to a number of schools in the area.
- School of choice – pupils can’t get a place in their preferred school while there are places in other schools in the town/area.
- Some towns/areas have single sex schools and while places are available in the school they are not available to all pupils
- External draw – pupils coming from outside the local area.
Until these issues are discussed with the relevant school authorities the true extent of any capacity issue will only become known.
Similar to the process adopted in advance of the current academic year, my Department is engaging with patron bodies, including those in your concerned area, to identify particular capacity requirements for the forthcoming year(s) which may necessitate action.