Written answers

Wednesday, 20 May 2020

Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport

Roads Maintenance Funding

Photo of Seán SherlockSeán Sherlock (Cork East, Labour)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

960. To ask the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport the funding streams available to local authorities for bridge repairs. [6578/20]

Photo of Shane RossShane Ross (Dublin Rathdown, Independent)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

The improvement and maintenance of regional and local roads is the statutory responsibility of each local authority, in accordance with the provisions of Section 13 of the Roads Act 1993. Works on those roads are funded from local authorities' own resources supplemented by State road grants.  The initial selection and prioritisation of works to be funded is also a matter for the local authority.

The Regional and Local Roads Division in my Department operates a Bridge Rehabilitation programme which allows local authorities to apply each year for monies to undertake bridge rehabilitation works.  It is also open to local authorities to apply for funding under the terms of the Specific Improvement Grant programme.

Alternatively, councils in receipt of the Department's  Discretionary Grant can choose to spend these monies for improvements and maintenance works. Councils have discretion in spending these grants provided the works meet the eligibility criteria set by the Department.

As Minister for Transport, Tourism & Sport, I have responsibility for overall policy and securing capital funding in relation to the national roads programme.  Under the Roads Acts 1993-2015 the planning, design, and construction, including the distribution and management of funding for national roads, is a matter for TII in conjunction with the local authorities concerned. 

Noting the above position, I have referred the question to TII for a direct reply.  Please advise my private office if you do not receive a reply within 10 working days.


No comments

Log in or join to post a public comment.