Written answers

Wednesday, 20 May 2020

Department of Finance

Vehicle Registration

Photo of Seán FlemingSeán Fleming (Laois-Offaly, Fianna Fail)
Link to this: Individually | In context

76. To ask the Minister for Finance when certificates in respect of an imported vehicle (details supplied) will be dealt with; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [5892/20]

Photo of Paschal DonohoePaschal Donohoe (Dublin Central, Fine Gael)
Link to this: Individually | In context

I am advised by Revenue that to register an imported used car, a person must bring the ‘foreign registration certificate’ or ‘certificate of de-registration’ (issued by the relevant registration authority in the other State) to the National Car Testing Service (NCTS) centre. In the context of the United Kingdom (UK), the required document is a ‘V5C’. 

The procedures for registering a used vehicle and the documents required are clearly set out on Revenue’s website at www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/vehicle-registration-tax/procedure-at-the-ncts-centre.aspx and are also available on the NCTS website at .

While the ‘V5C’ remains the key document for registration of a vehicle that has been imported into the State from the UK, Revenue may on a concessional basis, allow for alternative documentation to be presented in certain limited circumstances. Revenue has confirmed that it will make direct contact with the person in question to resolve the matter.


No comments

Log in or join to post a public comment.