Thursday, 5 March 2020
Department of Education and Skills
225. To ask the Minister for Education and Skills the steps he is taking to address the problem of the shortage of second level school places for the 2020-21 school year in Ballincollig, County Cork; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [3014/20]
I wish to advise the Deputy that as school authorities finalise their enrolments each year, issues have arisen where primary school pupils are experiencing difficulties in a number of areas in securing a post-primary school place for the start of the new school year (September 2020).
Where capacity is an issue the key points to be considered are:
- Duplication of applications – pupils have applied for a place to a number of schools in the area
- School of choice – pupils cannot get a place in their preferred school while there are places in other schools in the town/area
- Some towns/areas have single sex schools and while places are available in the school they are not available to all pupils
- External draw – pupils coming from outside the local area.
Where these issues exist, Department officials from the Planning and Building Unit engage with all relevant parties to resolve them.
This process is currently ongoing with a view to ensuring that every pupil has a school place for September 2020, in the area in question.