Written answers

Thursday, 5 March 2020

Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport

Driver Licences

Photo of Jack ChambersJack Chambers (Dublin West, Fianna Fail)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

1041. To ask the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport the way in which driver licenceholders separating from a spouse can change the name on their licence to their maiden name in circumstances in which the separation has not yet been completed; if his attention has been drawn to the legal costs involved in such a procedure; if his attention has been further drawn to the difficulties encountered by drivers in this regard; his plans to address this issue; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [2822/20]

Photo of Shane RossShane Ross (Dublin Rathdown, Independent)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

When an applicant has obtained a driving licence having presented some level of ID evidence of their married name, and then wishes get a licence in a different name, the National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) needs to link the licence given in the married name to the maiden name. There is an onus on the NDLS to make this link before a renewal can be issued.

The applicant can submit evidence of divorce/separation or dissolution of civil partnership or evidence of initiation of same i.e. letter from the customer’s solicitor confirming that a separation has been sought or referring to a separation.

Evidence of previous name is also required by way of a Birth or Marriage/Civil Partnership certificate which serves to verify the applicant’s previous name which they are now resuming the use of. Alternatively, a primary photographic ID document in their previous surname (e.g. a passport or Public Service Card) is also acceptable.

There is no fee for making an application to amend personal details unless the person's driving licence is also due for renewal or has been lost or stolen, in which case the application fee is €55.00 (renewal) or €35.00 (replacement).

I am unaware of difficulties encountered by drivers in this regard. If the Deputy wishes to share the details of the specific case, I will have the matter examined.


No comments

Log in or join to post a public comment.