Written answers

Tuesday, 17 December 2019

Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection

State Pension (Contributory) Eligibility

Photo of Willie PenroseWillie Penrose (Longford-Westmeath, Labour)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

727. To ask the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection if the insurance contribution record of a person (detail supplied) will be provided; if they qualify for a State pension, the level and amount of arrears payable to them; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [53415/19]

Photo of Regina DohertyRegina Doherty (Meath East, Fine Gael)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

Pension entitlement is assessed on the eligibility conditions applicable on the date an individual reaches pension age.   The person concerned reached pension age in 2014.  In order to claim state pension (contributory) a claimant must submit an SPC1 application form.  To date an application for state pension (contributory) has not been received from the person concerned.

I have arranged for a copy of their social insurance contribution record to issue to the person concerned. A minimum of 520 full-rate contributions is required for entitlement to standard state pension (contributory).  A minimum of 260 full-rate contributions is required for entitlement to a mixed insurance pro rata pension, based on the person’s full-rate and modified contribution history. 

On receipt of a completed application, the person’s entitlement to State pension (contributory) will be examined by a Deciding Officer and they will be notified of the outcome.

Under social welfare legislation, late claims for the State pension (contributory) may only be backdated for a maximum period of six months.  Backdating of a late claim beyond six months will be considered in circumstances where the failure to claim arose as the result of either incorrect information having been supplied by my Department, or the claimant’s serious incapacity by illness or infirmity.   I would therefore advise the person concerned to submit a pension application without delay.

I hope this clarifies the matter for the Deputy.


No comments

Log in or join to post a public comment.