Tuesday, 5 March 2019
Department of Defence
Capital Expenditure Programme
109. To ask the Taoiseach and Minister for Defence the capital allocation for defence in 2019; the expenditure allocations for defensive equipment, major capital infrastructural projects, the Naval Service, Air Corps, Army vehicles, equipment and protective suits; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [10806/19]
A total of €106 million has been allocated for 2019 for capital expenditure in Vote 36 Defence. This is in accordance with the National Development Plan, which provides for an overall capital allocation of €541m for Defence for the period 2018 to 2022. This capital funding will allow the Defence Organisation to undertake a programme of sustained equipment replacement and infrastructure development as identified in the White Paper.
The main categories of expenditure in the 2019 capital allocation across the Army, Air Corps and Naval Service are as follows:
- Capability Development = €70m;
- Built Infrastructure = €19m;
- Military Transport = €6m;
- Defence Forces Communication and Information Technology Equipment = €5m;
- Other Equipment = €6m.
The capital allocation for Defence for 2019 and for the period to 2022 demonstrates the Government’s commitment to ensuring that the Defence Forces have the capabilities necessary to deliver on all their assigned roles,both at home and overseas.