Written answers

Tuesday, 26 February 2019

Photo of David CullinaneDavid Cullinane (Waterford, Sinn Fein)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

331. To ask the Minister for Health if Irish citizens in Northern Ireland will be able to apply for a European health insurance card through the HSE post-Brexit; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [9243/19]

Photo of Simon HarrisSimon Harris (Wicklow, Fine Gael)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

The Regulation that gives eligibility for a European Health Insurance Cards (EHIC) is EU Regulation 883/2004. Under the regulations, an individual applies for an EHIC in their competent Member State. A person's competent Member State is the State where a person works, makes a social insurance contribution or receives a contributory pension. Therefore, for any person living in Northern Ireland, an EHIC will be issued by the HSE where this State is determined to be the competent Member State for that individual.


No comments

Log in or join to post a public comment.