Tuesday, 26 February 2019
Department of Education and Skills
165. To ask the Minister for Education and Skills the number of higher education student housing units built over the period of 2018 to date in 2019, nationally; the number of student accommodation units built by county; the cost over the same period; the proposed monthly cost to each Irish national student per room for the units; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [9000/19]
A total of 3,756 student accommodation bed spaces are known to have been delivered nationally between January 2018 and end January 2019.
Of these bed spaces -
- 2,876 are located in Dublin
- 371 are located in Cork
- 510 are located in Galway
- 8 are located in Limerick
The bed spaces that have been completed over this period are a mixture of private provision and public provision through the University sector, which has administrative independence under the Universities Act 1997. As such, the cost of delivery of the above and the proposed rates to be charged to students are not available.
166. To ask the Minister for Education and Skills the number of higher level students living in shared room hostel dormitories nationally as their form of student accommodation to date in 2019; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [9001/19]