Written answers

Tuesday, 26 February 2019

Department of Public Expenditure and Reform

Flood Relief Schemes

Photo of Danny Healy-RaeDanny Healy-Rae (Kerry, Independent)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

146. To ask the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform the reason the property of a person (details supplied) is being flooded for 14 years and the problem has not been resolved. [9038/19]

Photo of Paschal DonohoePaschal Donohoe (Dublin Central, Fine Gael)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

The location referred to by the Deputy does not form part of any Arterial Drainage Scheme, which would fall under the remit of the Office of Public Works (OPW) under the 1945 Arterial Drainage Act. The OPW therefore has no responsibility for the maintenance of channels in this area. I also understand that, while the area surrounding the residence of the person mentioned by the Deputy has flooded in the past, the residence itself is not known to flood.

Local flooding issues are a matter, in the first instance, for each Local Authority to investigate and address, and Kerry County Council may carry out flood mitigation works using its own resources. The Office of Public Works, however, also operates a Minor Flood Mitigation Works and Coastal Protection Scheme to fund solutions that can be readily identified and achieved in a short time frame. This administrative Scheme's eligibility criteria, including a requirement that any measures are cost beneficial, are published on the OPW website. It remains open to Kerry County Council to submit a funding application under this Scheme. Any application received will be considered in accordance with the overall availability of resources for flood risk management and the scheme's eligibility.


No comments

Log in or join to post a public comment.