Tuesday, 26 February 2019
Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport
Public Transport Expenditure
548. To ask the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport the amount of funding allocated for sustainable transport measures in 2019 by each heading; the funding code of his Department for same; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [9409/19]
549. To ask the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport the amount of funding and-or grants available in 2019 and 2020 for the provision of new cycleways, pedestrian ways, maintenance and or upgrade of existing cycle and walk ways; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [9414/19]
570. To ask the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport the amount of funding under the B8 sustainable transport code by its various subheads for 2019; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [9667/19]
I propose to take Questions Nos. 548, 549 and 570 together.
I can advise the Deputy that the Sustainable Transport Measures Grants programme has now been replaced by the Sustainable Urban Transport Programme. Funding for cycling is provided under a number of different programmes, of which the two principal ones are now the Smarter Travel/Sustainable Urban Transport programme and the Cycling & Walking programme.
I am pleased to advise the Deputy that I have secured a significant improvement in funding allocations over the period 2018-2021 which will benefit both cyclists and walkers. These improved allocations over this period include:
- €110 million specifically dedicated to cycling and walking infrastructure in our major urban areas;
- €135 million for sustainable urban transport measures;
- €750 million approximately towards the BusConnects programme in Dublin which will include the delivery of around 200 kilometres of segregated cycling lanes, where possible; and
- €53 million to support the development of new Greenways.
In addition to the above, Government has also made additional money available for cycling projects through both the Urban and Rural Regeneration and Development Funds under the National Development Plan.
For ease of reference please see below table which outlines the initial allocations per relevant programme and subhead of B8 (Public and Sustainable transport) for 2019 -
|B8.1||Smarter Travel /Sustainable Urban Transport||€20m|
|B8.2||Heavy Rail / Development||€274.7m|
|B8.3||Public Transport Infrastructure||€156.4m|
|B8.5||Cycling and Walking||€28m|