Tuesday, 26 February 2019
Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport
Rail Network Expansion
As the Deputy is aware, as part of Project Ireland 2040 the funding priority in relation to the DART Expansion Programme is to ensure delivery of the non-tunnel elements of the programme over the next ten years.
The initial sequencing of investment will therefore focus on -
- electrification of the Northern Line to Drogheda
- electrification of Kildare Line to Hazelhatch
- electrification of Maynooth Line to Maynooth and M3 Parkway
- better utilisation of the Phoenix Park Tunnel
- purchase of additional bi-mode rail fleet
- other measures such as re-signalling and junction/station changes.
The DART Expansion Programme's remaining element is the DART Underground Tunnel. Project Ireland 2040 commits toward establishing the route of the DART Underground Tunnel and ensuring its protection to allow for its future delivery.
Noting the National Transport Authority's statutory responsibilities in relation to the delivery of public transport infrastructure including the DART Expansion Programme, I have directed the question to the NTA for consideration and direct reply. Please contact my Office if you do not receive a reply within 10 days.