Thursday, 7 February 2019
Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport
National Transport Authority Funding
237. To ask the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport the breakdown by local authority of funding provided in 2018 by the National Transport Authority under the sustainable transport programme of funding for cycling and walking projects; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [6195/19]
As the Deputy may be aware I have secured improved funding allocations over the period 2018-2021 which will benefit both cyclists and walkers.
These improved allocations over this period include:
- €110 million specifically dedicated to cycling and walking infrastructure in our major urban areas;
- €135 million for sustainable urban transport measures;
- €750 million approximately towards the BusConnects programme in Dublin which will include the delivery of around 200 kilometres of segregated cycling lanes, where possible; and
- €53 million to support the development of new Greenways.
In addition to the above, Government has also made additional money available for cycling projects through both the Urban and Rural Regeneration and Development Funds under the National Development Plan.
Included among the allocations referred to above, is funding which is provided by my Department to the National Transport Authority as part of the sustainable urban transport programme. The allocation of funding in respect of individual projects is managed by the National Transport Authority in conjunction with the relevant local authorities, accordingly I have referred your question to the NTA for a more detailed reply. Please advise my private office if you do not receive a reply within 10 working days.