Written answers

Thursday, 29 March 2018

Department of Children and Youth Affairs

Child Protection

Photo of Anne RabbitteAnne Rabbitte (Galway East, Fianna Fail)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

383. To ask the Minister for Children and Youth Affairs if her Department requires voluntary organisations that are in receipt of funding, for example, a youth organisation, to have a child protection officer and a child protection policy; the way in which this requirement is enforced; her views on whether it should it exist; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [14620/18]

Photo of Katherine ZapponeKatherine Zappone (Dublin South West, Independent)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

Education and Training Boards (ETBs) act as grant administering bodies for the disbursement of funding under the various youth funding schemes. In this regard, earlier this year, officials from my Department corresponded with all ETBs requesting that each ETB seek a letter of assurance from each organisation in receipt of youth funding confirming that it is in compliance with the requirements of the Children First legislation.

The ETBs also have service level agreements (SLAs) in place with each funded youth organisation to facilitate the administration of funding. The SLA requires the Board of the youth organisation to appoint and maintain relevant officers as appropriate, including a designated child protection officer.


No comments

Log in or join to post a public comment.