Tuesday, 21 June 2016
Department of Education and Skills
Student Support Schemes
199. To ask the Minister for Education and Skills the amount of the €407 million he allocated for the purposes of student support and related expenses, that is paid to education institutions to cover the student contribution; the amount that is paid for the purposes of student maintenance and the amount paid for staff or administration purposes; the additional moneys not accounted for, in this allocation, including the purpose of same; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [17040/16]
The allocation of the €407.656m is broken down as follows:
- €377.2m - Student grants and related activities.
- €19.2m - Third Level Access Fund.
- €9.5m – SUSI pay and non-pay costs.
- €1.7m – Costs associated with scholarships, bursaries, the European University Institute and the Student Grants Appeals Board.
The Deputy will be aware that the student support subhead is a demand led subhead. As such, the breakdown of the 2016 expenditure between its constituent parts will not be available until 2017. However, the breakdown of expenditure in 2015 was as follows:
- €219m (56%) was spent on student contributions & fees, and
- €169m (44%) was spent on maintenance.