Tuesday, 3 November 2015
Department of Social Protection
Social Welfare Rates
238. To ask the Tánaiste and Minister for Social Protection the estimated full-year cost in 2016 of increasing the disability allowance; the blind pension; the invalidity pension; and the carer's allowance, by €5, €10 and €15 per week. [38061/15]
The estimated full year cost of increasing Disability Allowance, Blind Pension, Invalidity Pension and Carer's Allowance by €5.00, €10.00 and €15.00 per week is detailed in the table below:
|Weekly Increase||Disability Allowance|
These costs include proportionate increases for qualified adults, where applicable.
On Budget Day, I announced a social welfare Budget package for 2016 with four key aims:
- To increase supports for pensioners aged 66 and over;
- To strengthen supports for families with children;
- To increase the momentum to date in helping jobseekers back to work; and
- To provide targeted assistance for vulnerable groups.
In this regard, I am pleased to be in the position to provide a 75% Christmas Bonus payment this year. A single person in receipt of Disability Allowance will receive a bonus payment of €141. A couple in receipt of the Blind Pension, with a qualified adult and no children will receive a bonus of €234.60. A couple in receipt of Invalidity Pension with a qualified adult and two qualified children will receive a bonus payment of €293.40.
It should be noted that carers aged 66 and over will also benefit from the €3 weekly rate increase. This rate increase will also benefit carers in receipt of the half-rate Carer’s Allowance aged 66 and over, who will gain by €1.50 per week.
The Respite Care Grant, to be renamed the Carer’s Support Grant to better reflect the usage of the grant, will also be increased by €325, from €1,375 to €1,700 per annum. Furthermore, payment of Carer’s Allowance will be extended by 6 weeks, from 6 weeks to 12 weeks, after the death of the care recipient.
In addition, those eligible for the Fuel Allowance will gain from the increase in January of €2.50 per week, from €20 to €22.50 per week over the fuel season.