Written answers

Tuesday, 21 February 2012

Department of Social Protection

Ministerial Transport

9:00 pm

Photo of Timmy DooleyTimmy Dooley (Clare, Fianna Fail)
Link to this: Individually | In context

Question 374: To ask the Minister for Social Protection if she uses a State car; the type of car that is used; how often she has used it since coming to office; the cost of the person employed to drive the car; the cost of their salary; the cost of their vehicle expenses; if the person employed as their driver was previously a State employee; if that person is also in receipt of a State pension; the total cost of the service to date; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [9722/12]

Photo of Joan BurtonJoan Burton (Minister, Department of Social Protection; Dublin West, Labour)
Link to this: Individually | In context

The Government decided in March 2011 to confine the use of state cars from 1 May 2011. Accordingly, I now use my own car for official business. The travel /mileage rates payable depend on the car engine size and also incorporate a number of expense elements associated with the cost of running a car. These cost elements include insurance, full membership of AA/RAC, road tax and licence. The engine size of my car is 1400cc and the rate applicable is 46.25 cent per kilometre.

The mileage costs, which I have claimed since 01 May 2011 to 31 December 2011, amount to € 5,825.92.

I have two civilian drivers, both on a remuneration rate of €631.75 per week. They may also claim travel and subsistence allowances, in accordance with the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform regulations for necessary absences on official duties from home and headquarters.

The total cost of travel and subsistence claimed by my drivers to date is €753.15.

One of my drivers was previously employed by An Garda and is in receipt of a Garda pension.


No comments

Log in or join to post a public comment.