Written answers

Tuesday, 19 July 2011

Department of Education and Skills

Third Level Staff

10:00 pm

Photo of Aengus Ó SnodaighAengus Ó Snodaigh (Dublin South Central, Sinn Fein)
Link to this: Individually | In context

Question 214: To ask the Minister for Education and Skills the grants provided by his Department for university lecturers, professors or officials to travel abroad; the purpose and duration of education visits; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [21369/11]

Photo of Ruairi QuinnRuairi Quinn (Minister, Department of Education and Skills; Dublin South East, Labour)
Link to this: Individually | In context

My Department does not provide specific grants to Universities for foreign travel. The position is that funding is provided by my Department to the Higher Education Authority (HEA) for distribution among the publicly funded third level institutions, including Universities. The HEA disburses funding to the institutions by taking into account the full circumstances of the institution, the range and type of courses and facilities offered to the students, total student numbers and the nature of the infrastructure. It is then a matter for each institution to determine how the funding is allocated internally.

Under the Code of Governance for Irish Universities, the governing authorities of universities are required to implement Government pay policy (including procedures and systems in relation to Travel and Subsistence). The universities provide an annual update on their compliance with the code to the HEA.


No comments

Log in or join to post a public comment.