Written answers

Tuesday, 28 June 2011

Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources

Ministerial Travel

8:00 pm

Photo of Niall CollinsNiall Collins (Limerick, Fianna Fail)
Link to this: Individually | In context

Question 310: To ask the Minister for Communications; Energy and Natural Resources the rate of travel expense that is mileage paid for use of his private cars; the rate of subsistence payments and any other allowances available to him and his Ministers of State in the course if their appointment; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [17235/11]

Photo of Pat RabbittePat Rabbitte (Minister, Department of Communications, Energy and Natural Resources; Dublin South West, Labour)
Link to this: Individually | In context

The motor travel and subsistence rates paid to me and the Minister of State in my Department are in accordance with the Department of Finance guidelines.

The rates per kilometre are set out in the table beneath:

Official motor travel in a calendar yearEngine capacity up to 1200ccEngine capacity 1201cc to 1500ccEngine capacity 1501cc to 2000ccEngine capacity 2001cc and over
Up to 6,437km39.12 cent46.25 cent59.07 cent70.89 cent
6,438km and over21.22 cent23.62 cent28.46 cent34.15 cent

The mileage in respect of which the above allowances may be paid is limited to 96,540 kilometres per year.

The relevant domestic subsistence rate is €72.66 and a 10 hour or 5 hour day rate of €33.61 and €13.71 respectively is also payable. Ministers and Ministers of State may also claim the vouched cost of a hotel room (including tax and up to 15% service charge).

When travelling abroad, Ministers may claim the vouched cost of a hotel room and up to 15% service charge plus the class A civil service conference rate (which varies from country to country) increased by a third, with the exception of the USA and Canada, where it is increased by a half.

As the Deputy will be aware, a single parliamentary standard allowance is also payable to Deputies, Senators and Officeholders.


No comments

Log in or join to post a public comment.