Written answers

Tuesday, 1 December 2009

Department of Social and Family Affairs

Flood Compensation Scheme

12:00 pm

Photo of Tom HayesTom Hayes (Tipperary South, Fine Gael)
Link to this: Individually | In context

Question 245: To ask the Minister for Social and Family Affairs the arrangements that will be made to compensate flood victims in south Tipperary after the latest flood damage to homes and businesses; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [43947/09]

Photo of Dan NevilleDan Neville (Limerick West, Fine Gael)
Link to this: Individually | In context

Question 246: To ask the Minister for Social and Family Affairs the details of a scheme of emergency humanitarian assistance as announced on 24 November 2009 in Dáil Éireann during the debate on the flooding. [44064/09]

Photo of Mary HanafinMary Hanafin (Dún Laoghaire, Fianna Fail)
Link to this: Individually | In context

I propose to take Questions Nos. 245 and 246 together.

In recognition of the devastation suffered by people in many areas of the country due to the recent flooding, the Government has allocated an initial sum of €10m to fund a Humanitarian Assistance Scheme. The scheme is being administered by the Community Welfare Service of the Health Service Executive on behalf of the Department of Social and Family Affairs.

The aim of the scheme is to provide financial support to people who have suffered flood damage to their homes and in doing so will provide hardship alleviation as opposed to full compensation. As on previous occasions, commercial or business losses will not be covered by the scheme nor will losses which are covered by household insurance. Applications under the scheme will be means tested to ensure that available assistance will be prioritised for those who are most vulnerable.

The Community Welfare Service has already provided emergency financial and other assistance to households affected by the flooding to cover items such as clothing, food, bedding, heating, hire of dehumidifiers and emergency accommodation needs.

As the flood waters abate and people assess the full extent of the damage to their homes, qualified households can claim for essential household items such as carpets, flooring, furniture and white goods. Assistance will also be available for structural repairs to homes not covered by household insurance.

The level of payment available under the aid scheme to any qualified individual will depend on the severity of the damage to that person's home and the extent of the loss experienced as well as household income and general family circumstances.

People seeking assistance should contact their local Community Welfare Office. Further information and applications forms in relation to the Humanitarian Assistance Scheme are available from the Community Welfare Service in the affected areas and from the Department's website (www.welfare.ie) and the HSE's website (www.hse.ie). In addition the scheme is being advertised in the local media.


No comments

Log in or join to post a public comment.