Wednesday, 4 July 2018
Special Committee on Withdrawal of the UK from the European Union: Motion
That, notwithstanding anything in Standing Orders
(1) Seanad Éireann (a) noting the continued importance for Ireland of the negotiations for the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union,
(b) noting the continued potential impact of the negotiations on many areas of public policy, and
(c) having regard to the work of the Seanad Special Select Committee on the Withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union (‘the First Committee’) and its Report entitled ‘Brexit: Implications and Potential Solutions’ which identified many of the significant challenges and potential solutions to address those challenges,appoints a Seanad Special Select Committee on the Withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union (‘the Committee’) to -(i) track the implementation and approach taken in the negotiations in relation to the findings and recommendations of the First Committee in its Report ‘Brexit: Implications and Potential Solutions’ (June 2017)
(ii) provide input to consideration by Seanad Éireann of the withdrawal negotiations,
(iii) engage with visiting parliamentary delegations, and
(iv) engage with relevant institutions of the European Union and elected representatives in Great Britain and Northern Ireland.(2) The Committee shall consist of ten members of whom one shall be Senator Neale Richmond who shall be Chairman and of whom nine shall be nominated by the Committee of Selection as follows:Fine Gael group2 members,
Fianna Fáil group2 members,
Independent group2 members,
Sinn Féin group1 member,
Civil Engagement group 1 member,
Seanad Technical group 1 member.
(3) The quorum of the Committee shall be five.(4) The Committee shall have the powers defined in Standing Order 72, other than paragraphs (3), (4), (5), (6), (7), (9), (10), (11) and (12) thereof.
(5) Paragraphs (2) to (6) inclusive of Standing Order 77 shall not apply to the Committee.
(6) Paragraph (2) of Standing Order 84 shall not apply to the Committee.
(7) The Committee shall make a final report to Seanad Éireann not later than 31stDecember 2018 and thereupon stand dissolved.”