Tuesday, 14 June 2022
Department of An Taoiseach
The National Economic and Social Council (NESC) advises me on strategic policy issues relating to sustainable economic, social and environmental development in Ireland.
The NESC work programme, in 2022, includes five main areas:
- It willcarry out a major piece of research and consultation on climate, biodiversity and how to achieve a just transition in agriculture;
- Itwill continue to help us deepen our understanding of how to deliver more affordable and sustainable housing systems drawing on international and national experience, including ongoing work in Ireland on cost rental;
- NESC is supporting work on Ireland’s well-being framework by examining how well-being frameworks are implemented in practice;
- NESC has undertaken an extensive programme of research and consultation to support the Shared Island Initiative. It produced a report on the Shared Island in Q1 2022, which made recommendations in five key areas: economy and infrastructural investment, social policy, climate and biodiversity, well-being frameworks and data coordination; and
- It will examine aspects of the Covid-19 pandemic to help identify strategic lessons about public governance and how government can be supported to arrange and manage its activity to deliver the best results for society.
The NESC Council published five reports in 2021 and one report in 2022:
-Shared Island: Shared Opportunity NESC Comprehensive Report (Council Report No.157)
- Grounding the Recovery in Sustainable Development: A Statement from the Council (NESC Report No. 152)
- Shared Island: Projects, Progress & Policy Scoping Paper(NESC Report No. 153)
- Digital Inclusion in Ireland: Connectivity, Devices & Skills (NESC Report No. 154)
- Ireland’s Well-Being Framework: Consultation Report (NESC Report No. 155)
- Collaboration on Climate and Biodiversity: Shared Island as a Catalyst for Renewed Ambition & Action(NESC Report No.156).
As reports are finalised in the relevant areas they are brought to Government for approval in advance of publication.