Written answers

Wednesday, 31 March 2021

Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection

Carer's Allowance

Photo of Cathal CroweCathal Crowe (Clare, Fianna Fail)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

668. To ask the Minister for Employment Affairs and Social Protection if provisions will be made to ensure the continued payment of carer’s allowance in respect of a person (details supplied) in a case in which they are in breach of the regular rules. [16687/21]

Photo of Heather HumphreysHeather Humphreys (Cavan-Monaghan, Fine Gael)
Link to this: Individually | In context | Oireachtas source

Carer's allowance (CA) is a means-tested social assistance payment made to a person who is habitually resident in the State and who is providing full-time care and attention to a child or an adult who has such a disability that as a result they require that level of care.

As is the case with most other means-tested social welfare payments, CA is not payable on an extended basis to or in respect of persons outside the State.

However, legislation does provide for the payment of CA when a person leaves the State on a temporary basis for the specific purpose of accompanying the person being cared for, while that person is receiving treatment. This treatment must be provided by an institution and a letter will be required providing date of admission and subsequent release. There is no requirement that the treatment be one which is not available in the State.

A temporary absence is considered one which lasts no longer than thirteen weeks.

Permission must be sought before the Carer or cared for person leaves the State. Failure to do so will result in the loss of entitlement.

If the person being cared for is not receiving treatment in an institution, the CA payment to the person concerned will terminate. The person concerned will be required to re-apply for CA upon her return to the State.

I hope this clarifies the position for the Deputy.


No comments

Log in or join to post a public comment.