Tuesday, 14 February 2017
Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport
642. To ask the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport further to this Deputy's request at a recent committee meeting on sport, if he will outline the delegated functions to the Minister of State in his Department. [7222/17]
There has been no statutory delegation of functions to Minister of State O'Donovan. The Minister of State was allocated general responsibility for sport, with a particular focus on:
- the Sports Capital Programme;
- the Local Authority Swimming Pool Programme;
- engagement with Sport Ireland, National Governing Bodies and Local Sports Partnerships in relation to
(a) promoting participation in sport, recreation and physical activity and
(b) the promotion of high performance sport;
- oversight of the National Sports Campus; and
- engagement with the institutions of the European Union on sport matters, including attendance at the Council of Ministers when significant sports issues are to be discussed and attendance by a Minister is required.
Minister of State O'Donovan was also allocated general responsibility for domestic tourism, with a particular focus on:
- development of tourism product;
- domestic tourism marketing;
- Tourism generating events including festivals, sports, business, and cultural tourism.
In addition to these functions, it was agreed that Minister of State O'Donovan will support me in relation to:
- Oireachtas business;
- international commitments;
- attendance at public events; and
- other matters as may be required by Minister Ross.