Written answers

Tuesday, 23 October 2007

Department of Education and Science

Special Educational Needs

10:00 pm

Photo of Margaret ConlonMargaret Conlon (Cavan-Monaghan, Fianna Fail)
Link to this: Individually | In context

Question 494: To ask the Minister for Education and Science the support services available to parents of children suffering from autism; and if she will make a statement on the matter. [25240/07]

Photo of Mary HanafinMary Hanafin (Minister, Department of Education and Science; Dún Laoghaire, Fianna Fail)
Link to this: Individually | In context

I wish to clarify that my Department provides funding for the education of children with autism through the primary and post-primary school system, rather than any specific support services being provided for parents. Parents may contact their local Special Educational Needs Organiser (SENO) directly to discuss their child's special educational needs using the contact details available on www.ncse.ie.

The Deputy is aware that the National Council for Special Education is responsible, through its network of local SENOs, for the establishment of special classes for autism and for allocating resource teachers and special needs assistants to schools to support children with special needs. All schools have the names and contact details of their local SENO.


No comments

Log in or join to post a public comment.