This data was produced from a variety of sources.
- Fine Gael TD for Carlow-Kilkenny
- Former Fine Gael Senator (Agricultural Panel)
- Entered the Dáil on 26 February 2011 — General election
- Left the Seanad on 25 February 2011 — Resigned
- Email me whenever John Paul Phelan speaks (no more than once per day)
No data to display yet.
Committees and topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Subjects (based on headings added by the Dáil record): Banking Sector Regulation, Grant Payments, Schools Building Projects, Schools Building Projects Status, Ambulance Service Staff
(based on written questions asked by John Paul Phelan and answered by departments)
- Written Answers — Department of Housing, Planning, and Local Government: Covid-19 Pandemic Supports (3 Jun 2020)
“I propose to take Questions Nos. 1157 and 1180 together. The levying and collection of rates are legally matters for each individual local authority. Local authorities are under a statutory obligation to levy rates on any property used for commercial purposes. In order to support the local government sector, my Department is continuing to keep local authority income, expenditure and...”
- Written Answers — Department of Housing, Planning, and Local Government: Local Authority Functions (3 Jun 2020)
“Council meetings are an integral and critical part of local democracy through which elected councils carry out statutory reserved functions and provide policy direction and oversight to local authorities. Arrangements for Council meetings are a matter for elected members who must, in accordance with the relevant provisions set out under Part 6 and Schedule 10 of the Local Government Act 2001,...”
- Covid-19 (Local Government): Statements (27 May 2020)
“Deputy Danny Healy-Rae raised this as well and I agree fully. It has to be far too much ideology in terms of rural planning in general. It is a multifaceted answer but there are two obvious issues. First, there are the serviced sites on the edges of our towns and villages. There is also the dispersed rural housing, the once-off rural house. I am acutely familiar with some of the issues...”
These statistics are updated only each weekend. Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.More about this)
- Has spoken in 23 committee discussions and Dáil debates in the last year — average among TDs.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- People have made 0 comments on this TD's speeches — average among TDs.
- This TD's speeches, in the printed record, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 29 people are tracking whenever this TD speaks — email me whenever John Paul Phelan speaks.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "public-private partnership") 272 times in debates — average among TDs.
(Yes, this is a silly statistic. We include it to draw your attention to why you should read more than just these numbers when forming opinions.)
Register of Members' Interests
Register last updated: 11 Mar 2015. More about the Register