This data was produced from a variety of sources.
- Fine Gael TD for Carlow-Kilkenny
- Former Fine Gael Senator (Agricultural Panel)
- Entered the Dáil on 26 February 2011 — General election
- Left the Seanad on 25 February 2011 — Resigned
- Email me whenever John Paul Phelan speaks (no more than once per day)
No data to display yet.
Committees and topics of interest
Asks most questions about
- Subjects (based on headings added by the Dáil record): Banking Sector Regulation, Grant Payments, Schools Building Projects, Schools Building Projects Status, Ambulance Service Staff
(based on written questions asked by John Paul Phelan and answered by departments)
- Written Answers — Department of Housing, Planning, and Local Government: Commercial Rates Impact (5 Mar 2020)
“I understand the vital role local businesses play in supporting local authorities to deliver services to their communities. Commercial rates, at approximately €1.5bn per annum, make up roughly a third of local government current (revenue) income. Local authorities are required by law to levy rates on any property used for commercial purposes, in accordance with the details,...”
- Written Answers — Department of Housing, Planning, and Local Government: Postal Voting (5 Mar 2020)
“Postal voting is provided for in electoral law in respect of a number of categories of electors, including electors whose occupation, service or employment makes it likely that they will be unable to vote in person at their local polling station on polling day. Other categories of electors who may avail of postal voting are whole-time members of the Defence Forces, members of An Garda...”
- Written Answers — Department of Housing, Planning, and Local Government: Mayoral Election (5 Mar 2020)
“The people of Limerick voted in favour of a directly elected Mayor with executive functions for their local authority area in a plebiscite on 24 May 2019. The Local Government Act 2019 requires the Minister to submit to the Oireachtas a report with legislative proposals for a directly elected mayor for Limerick, within two years of the plebiscite vote, i.e. by...”
These statistics are updated only each weekend. Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, representatives may do other things not currently covered by this site.More about this)
- Has spoken in 31 committee discussions and Dáil debates in the last year — average among TDs.
- Has received answers to 0 written questions in the last year — Ministers do not ask written questions.
- People have made 0 comments on this TD's speeches — average among TDs.
- This TD's speeches, in the printed record, are readable by an average 18–19 year old, going by the Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level score.
- 29 people are tracking whenever this TD speaks — email me whenever John Paul Phelan speaks.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "public-private partnership") 259 times in debates — average among TDs.
(Yes, this is a silly statistic. We include it to draw your attention to why you should read more than just these numbers when forming opinions.)
Register of Members' Interests
Register last updated: 11 Mar 2015. More about the Register