Friday, 16 October 2020
Select Committee on the Withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union: Motion
Regina Doherty (Fine Gael)
That notwithstanding anything in Standing Orders:
(1) Seanad Éireann appoints a Seanad Special Select Committee on the Withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union (‘the Committee’) to – (i) monitor Ireland’s preparedness for all possible outcomes following the withdrawal of the United Kingdom from the European Union,
(ii) examine the impact of the withdrawal on trade connectivity to the rest of Europe, in particular,from potential blockages to the landbridge,
(iii) analyse the impact of the withdrawal on the Irish economy and society in the immediate post-transition period, and
(iv) engage with stakeholders, relevant institutions and elected representatives in the European Union, Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and the United States of America. (2) The Committee shall consist of 12 members.
(3) The quorum of the Committee shall be five.
(4) The Committee shall have the powers defined in Standing Order 72, other than paragraphs (2), (3), (4), (5), (6), (7), (8) and (9) thereof.
(5) Paragraphs (2) to (6) inclusive of Standing Order 77 shall not apply to the Committee.
(6) Paragraph (2) of Standing Order 84 shall not apply to the Committee.(7) The Committee shall make a final report to Seanad Éireann not later than 31st March,2021,and shall, on the making of its final report, stand dissolved."