Thursday, 20 December 2018
Greyhound Racing Bill 2018: Report Stage (Resumed) and Final Stage
I move amendment No. 36:
In page 48, between lines 25 and 26, to insert the following:“Export of greyhounds
56. (1) It shall be an offence for a person within the State to export a greyhound to a country which is not included in the white list published by the Minister in accordance with subsection (2).
(2) The Minister shall annually publish a white list of countries outside the European Union which meet minimum standards with regard to the health and welfare of greyhounds and to which the licensed export of greyhounds from the State shall be lawful.
(3) When preparing the white list under subsection (2), the Minister shall have regard to the following:(a) the past record of the relevant country in relation to the welfare protections for greyhounds and the welfare of animals more generally;(4) Where the information specified in subsection (3)is not readily available after reasonable efforts have been made in relation to a specific country, the Minister shall have discretion to include or exclude the relevant country from the white list based on the information that is available.
(b) the existence in the relevant country of enforceable welfare protections for greyhounds which are equivalent to the protections available in the State;
(c) the monitoring and enforcement in the relevant country of the welfare protections in paragraph (b);
(d) the standards of care and management to which the greyhounds are likely to be subjected to in the relevant country; and
(e) information relating to subsections a-d received during the public consultation in accordance with subsection (6).
(5) The Minister shall hold an annual public consultation while preparing the white list in accordance withsubsection (3).
(6) A person who is guilty of an offence under subsection(1)is liable on summary conviction to a class A fine.”.