Written answers
Tuesday, 25 November 2025
Department of Housing, Planning, and Local Government
Turf Cutting
Claire Kerrane (Roscommon-Galway, Sinn Fein)
Link to this: Individually | In context
552. To ask the Minister for Housing, Planning, and Local Government if his Department is considering a new phase of supports for existing cessation of turf cutting compensation scheme applicants, as per a letter issued to said applicants earlier this year; the stage this consideration is at; when applicants will be informed; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [66034/25]
Claire Kerrane (Roscommon-Galway, Sinn Fein)
Link to this: Individually | In context
548. To ask the Minister for Housing, Planning, and Local Government if his Department is considering a new phase of supports for existing cessation of turf cutting compensation scheme applicants, as per a letter issued to said applicants earlier this year; the stage this consideration is at; when applicants will be informed; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [65952/25]
James Browne (Wexford, Fianna Fail)
Link to this: Individually | In context
I propose to take Questions Nos. 552 and 548 together.
The Cessation of Turf Cutting Compensation Scheme was established following engagement with stakeholders in 2011 for active domestic turf cutters arising from the restrictions on turf cutting on 53 raised bog special areas of conservation (SAC) and was extended in 2014 to include 36 raised bog natural heritage areas (NHA).
Eligible applicants on raised bog SACs where turf cutting ceased in 2011 received their final payment under the 15-year scheme in 2025. Applicants on SACs where turf cutting ceased in 2012 will receive their final payment in 2026. Where turf cutting ceased on the raised bog NHAs at different stages between 2014 and 2017; payments will continue to be made annually with final payments being made from 2028 to 2031.
Applicants on sites where the scheme concluded in 2025 have received average payments of €23,830. This scheme has compensated those impacted by restrictions on turf-cutting, and other supports, such as those operated by the Sustainable Energy Authority Ireland and the Department of Social Protection, will continue to offer support to those with older homes, inefficient heating systems and those most at risk of fuel poverty.
The Cessation of Turf Cutting Compensation Scheme has helped to ensure the conservation of these important sites of unique ecological value. My Department will finalise shortly its considerations of any measures following the end of the scheme that continue to support the conservation of these sites.
No comments